Wednesday, September 5, 2007

i just experienced the single most successful supergluing session of my entire life.

i superglued four things, three that broke during the move and one i broke myself. everything is whole and functional now, and i didn't get any on me. i'm celebrating with an arnold palmer.

today i put all my clothes in my closet and put up my curtains. after i get my bed on saturday, i will really live here.

two things that i am so glad are coast-to-coast: target, a necessary evil, and trader joe's, which i would marry if it were legal. i'm going to trader joe's this afternoon for some perishables, and i couldn't be more excited. i might even by myself a third succulent. do they look lonely? maybe a little.

medium iced mocha latte, everything bagel with lite garden veggie cream cheese: what did i do before dunkin donuts? i couldn't believe it when my mom first told me that they rival starbucks here. i thought, dunkin donuts? their donuts aren't even any good! but things are much, much different here - i have yet to try their donuts, but their coffee is passable, and their bagels are unbelievable. i think there's some sort of difference between how they're toasted on each coast that really makes it. i once had a layover in philly, and they did something with foil and to this day i haven't had a bagel like that.

the real reason that i'm prattling on is that i have my first class today and i think i'm nervous. the professor is funny, but terrifies me, and i'm scared that if i show up to class in one of my ratty tshirts (i realized yesterday that every single one of my classmates had on a classy tshirt yesterday with nothing written on it) he's going to tell me i'll never get a teaching fellowship dressed like this. i know that's probably the last thing i should be worried about being an obstacle to a teaching fellowship, but my anxiety about fitting in on the east coast and maybe even making a friend has consistently taken the form of worrying that i'm not dressed right. but what can i do? nothing but tshirts and converse (sometimes sambas) feels right, and there is no way i'm going shopping. so, superhero tshirts it is.

No comments: